Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I hate being a prisoner to daycare.

I'm supposed to start back to work this Thursday.  Technically, Friday is the official 12 week mark, but one of my coworkers is leaving on his honeymoon the 19th so I said I'd be there.  Before I made the call to confirm with work, I spoke to our daycare provider to confirm Johnny's official start date and asked if we could sneak in another "practice" day before then.  She wouldn't be able to watch him earlier in the week because she needed to get a few more things before he started full time, such as a video monitor and another changing table so she could change him on whatever floor the rest of the kids are.  I wasn't sure why she couldn't get these items over the weekend, but, whatever.

Dave dropped Henry off this morning and she told him she didn't think she'd be able to watch John on Thursday, possibly not on Friday either, because she still needs to get these things.  

What the hell?!  What is so hard about this?  

What frustrates me the most is that, technically, she works for us.  We pay her for a service and we are both under contract.  But good care is hard to find and the good providers know it - and will hold it over your head.  She honestly does do a good job.  Academically, Henry was well prepared for school.  Part of that was his own smarts, part of that was superior parenting, and part of that was the fact that she does pre-school with her kids and she does it well.  It's the attitude that if we don't like something, we can take our business elsewhere and she'll fill our spot, no problem, that pisses me off.       

No comments:

Post a Comment