Sunday, January 25, 2009

Night out on the town for us all!


Last night marked a milestone at the ol' Highway 47 homestead!  I ventured out in the cold on my own and went to a friend's 40th birthday party while Dave took BOTH boys to the high school hockey game.  He's a brave, brave man!

I've been panicking about getting a supply of milk stored up for when I go back to work so I started on this "little" project yesterday.  We procured a new, functioning dishwasher last weekend and, after a small leaky setback, Dave got it installed and running yesterday morning.  This was pretty much essential due to the amount of bottles I would be going through and was a huge relief.  I'm going to try to pump an hour after each feeding, which has me a bit nervous since John isn't all that regular.  Sometimes he'll go for a few hours, sometimes I can't get him off for more than one.  He's definitely more high maintenance than Henry was and less predictable.  My first try yesterday produced 7oz.  The second, only 3.  I'm not too worried yet since between feeding and pumping, I'm going to turn into a milking machine with boobs that will transform into rocks every couple of hours if I don't do something about it.

So, I ventured off to the extreme northern suburbs while Dave took the guys to the game.  He was nervous, but confident.  One of Henry's teammates and his coach father went, as well, freeing Dave up to only have to entertain the little one who wound up sleeping most of the time.  We really like that family.  I was worried that I would have nothing in common with the other "hockey moms" but somehow, this kid's mom and I found each other and we have a blast in the stands.  When I first met them, I excitedly told Dave that I found some people that looked like they might drive a VW and listen to Wilco like us.  So Dave and Coach I got to hang out and Henry and A acted like a couple of rink rats in the stands.

After they got home, Johnny took his first ever bottle like a champ!  Dave said at first, he refused to take it, like he often refuses a pacifier (he's turning into a thumb boy already).  Dave squirted a little milk out to give him a taste and he quickly put two and two together and chowed down.  He's just like his brother in this respect.  Henry never cared where the food came from.  We used to call him Hank the Tank since he packed on the pounds so easily.  How he turned into a tall, skinny little thing that can hardly keep a pair of pants on his butt still baffles me.  John is starting out exactly the same.  I can't wait to see how much he weighs at his 2 month appointment (only a little over a week away)!

The cell was in my hands the whole time, but I had fun.  I hadn't seen Kel's brother in quite a while and was glad to be able to make it to his big 4-0.  Kel, Kasey and I wound up playing Wii much of the time.  Right after I arrived I had one Stella and snuck out to the garage with a couple of guys for a little something something (wink, wink).  Figured I'd get my kicks in early on so the system could wash out by the time I had to return to my role as human vending machine.  Wound up staying for nearly 4 hours after I got word that everything was going so well at home.  Yay for my boys!     

No comments:

Post a Comment