Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fixing Johnny's Little Johnny

Johnny had surgery a week and a half ago to repair a very mild hypospadia. Basically, it's a birth defect of the male variety and John's would have caused him to have to pee sitting down. We've been told all along that his is slight enough that the surgery was optional, but his pediatrician (who is nearly holistic in her approach to medicine) said that, if he was hers, she'd do the procedure - kids are mean. I could never have sent him to school having to use the stall in the boys' bathroom. His pediatrician advised us to stay holed up for the weekend prior to the surgery and to keep germ infested kids away from him. When I told Henry he couldn't hug his little brother for a few days, he got super sad and said, "But I love him!!" What a big brother!

We arrived at the hospital at 6:00 that morning and met with the surgeon and anesthesiologist. Around 7:45, we passed our son off to a complete stranger to knock him out so they could slice up his little Johnny and sew it back together again. Dave and I tag teamed our visits to the cafeteria for breakfast and I took a nap. Woke up just in time to find Dave playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook and to see John's doctor walking in to talk to us. We went to a private room where he diagrammed the repair on a whiteboard and told us that it went really well.

Johnny was already awake when they brought me back. I nursed him and then we were taken back to another post-op observation area to sit and wait. John and I snuggled in the hospital bed and watched Elmo's world. He was so sad and hoarse. I felt so guilty putting him through it, but keep telling myself he won't remember it and will be happier in the long run.

Right??...

My folks spent the rest of the week with us since I didn't want to send John to daycare with the stent and thought he could really use some extra TLC. Gordy took care of a few things that have been on Dave's honey-do list for quite some time (installing the new faucet in the bathroom among other things). I've decided that they should really stay with us more often - ha!

John was pretty needy the day after his surgery, but was acting like his normal self by Thursday. Friday morning, my mom called to tell me that Johnny was up but his stent was completely out. UGH!!! Spent 2 hours trying to get ahold of someone at the surgeon's office that could tell me if I should be freaking out or not. I finally got a nurse on the line and they had me bring him in where they clipped the stitch and sent us on our way. No need to come back for a post-op visit unless the little Johnny isn't looking right. Oh, and we were supposed to keep an eye on his urine stream. Um, he's in diapers. I guess we're supposed to let him wander around naked until he pees.

Anyway, he's doing awesome. Everything is looking great and someday he'll thank us.

No comments:

Post a Comment