Thursday, September 10, 2009

"I just want the girl in the blue dress to keep on dancing" - Mike Doughty

I'm stitting in my office downtown, knowing there is a really cute blue dress just a couple of blocks away...on sale, no less. Unfortunately, someone "skimmed" my check card somewhere along the way so I'm waiting patiently for my new one to arrive in the mail. Luckily, the bank flagged one of the transactions - a nearly $400 purchase at a Target down in Bloomington - and called last Friday. I'm still shocked that a large purchase at Target would get flagged considering the amount of money that place gets from us. The perps also filled up several cars at a Holiday Station in St. Paul. The fact they were using the faked card locally leads me to believe it was a "skimmer" and not a hacker that got into someone's website. Either way, I'm pissed. I agreed to prosecute if the bank caught the losers, but I wonder if they really even try. Seems to me, with a time stamp on the transactions and the fact that all the gas stations have video cameras, it wouldn't be too difficult to go back and find a license plate number or two. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. oh Wow! I hope you find them! I'm not even sure what exactly skimming is... but doesn't sound good! Just wanted to say yay Mike Doughty! Wooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skimming is when you hand someone your card and they not only swipe it where they are supposed to, but also through this handy little card reader that takes all your info off the magnetic strip so they can make a new card with their info on the face, but your info on the new strip. They can make big purchases with it and have no problems because, if they're asked for ID, it matches the face of the card. That's why you're never supposed to let the card out of your site - like when you pay at a restaurant. I trust no one now...

    ReplyDelete